Scroll down to watch the fentanyl documentary, a must watch video
A few weeks ago, I wrote about the epidemic of rainbow fentanyl that has hit the market and how dangerous this drug is. When properly used, such in end-of-life care, this prescription opioid drug can provide relief where other pain relievers aren’t effective. As a former home health and hospice nurse I would teach caregivers how to apply the medication loaded patch behind the ear, taking care to for the caregiver to not touch the inside of the patch. Back then, we were aware of how potent this medication was, and it was prescribed in only the most severe cases of pain.
Fast forward to now and this medication is now one of the worlds most dangerous street drugs. According to a press release from the DEA:
“Fentanyl is the single deadliest drug threat our nation has ever encountered,” said Administrator Anne Milgram. “Fentanyl is everywhere. From large metropolitan areas to rural America, no community is safe from this poison. We must take every opportunity to spread the word to prevent fentanyl-related overdose death and poisonings from claiming scores of American lives every day.”
I wish I had better news to report, but I am starting to believe we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. In just the past weeks:
- Country singer Luke Bell age 32 died of fentanyl overdose. He also had been drinking at the time, his death was ruled accidental. No further details as of this writing.
- Penn State students cautioned on brightly colored ‘rainbow’ fentanyl
- Minnesota River Valley Drug Task Force agents find ‘rainbow’ fentanyl for the first time
- 7th LAUSD teen overdoses from possible fentanyl-laced pills
- NC teenager sent to prison for the fentanyl death of her friends 16 month old son
- Teen accused in Bernstein HS student’s fentanyl death appears in court
- Florida drug bust seized enough fentanyl to ‘kill everyone within 18 counties’ *enough to kill 4.18 million people)
- JSO: Narcotics Unit seizes enough fentanyl to kill 1.5 million adults
- Deputy dog searching man’s truck finds enough fentanyl to kill 3,050 people
- And on and on and on….
This is such heartbreaking news, so many lives lost, so many families and loved ones torn apart from this drug.
In order to protect you and your loved ones from this onslaught of fentanyl that has reached every state and community in the US there are a few tips provided by the DEA on their website:
- Those who encounter fentanyl are advised not to handle it directly and call 911.
- The DEA has launched a fentanyl awareness page
- National fentanyl awareness day was August 21, 2022 On this site are educational and tips to help identify and keep you and your family safe from fentanyl
- Must watch video, Dead on Arrival, a documentary on the fentanyl crisis,
- An educational website on illicit drugs, org
- Dealers use social media to push their drugs. Be aware of this.
- You can purchase Naloxone at any pharmacy that can reverse the effects of fentanyl and other narcotics, such as morphine. Please be proactive and have some on hand if there is any chance anyone you know may engage in illicit drug use.
- Brooke Lounsbury
Medical Content Writer
Keeping you informed and safe.
Popular Pesticide That Was Recently Banned Associated With Type 2 Diabetes
(This is part 1 of a series on diabetes, other parts will delve into labs, testing, prevention and management of diabetes) A recent study revealed that Thai farmers exposed to different pesticides found an association between 3 different pesticides and onset of type 2...
The Ongoing Adderall Shortage
The ongoing Adderall shortage seems to have no end. Teva, the largest manufacturer of Adderall, is experiencing “ongoing intermittent manufacturing delays” due to increased demand. Every year, the DEA sets a quota — a limit on the amount of raw materials for many...
My Reasons for ordering Jase Daily
I recently went through the process of ordering my yearly supply of prescription medicine through Jase Daily. I received my medication over the weekend and am impressed. From the ordering process to communication, every step of the way the process was streamlined and...